Clinical Application Specialist
Location: Fountain Valley, California
Job Listing: MEM005318
MemorialCare System Services team members work with end users, other Implementation Service (IS) teams, vendors, and management to help assess, select, configure, test, install and provide on-going support for software and hardware solutions for the end user community in administrative, financial, ancillary, clinical as well as additional areas. This includes helping to understand, change, and improve business workflows based on software solution modifications, to achieve process improvements and to ensure optimal use of applications. They maintain the role of IS liaison to assigned departments, helping to facilitate resolution of requests and problems, as well as to ensure end user/management customer satisfaction.
The Clinical Application Specialist should be able to perform all duties of the Sr. Clinical Application Analyst. Additionally, the Specialist role places a strong emphasis on project leadership as it pertains to upgrades and net-new implementations. They participate in all types of projects, providing oversight and guidance needed for IS Projects.
The Clinical Application Specialist applies a broad knowledge level of healthcare Information Technology (IT) principles, best practices, and an in-depth understanding of clinical workflows to complete moderate to highly complex and multi-faceted assignments. They address escalated requests, and projects requiring critical thinking skills and ingenuity. The Clinical Application Specialist helps implement and administer highly visible ancillary applications and core systems that are both multi-faceted and robust, to meet the needs of MemorialCare end-users while seeking opportunities to optimize internal processes and standards. This position works to complete mission critical tasks, solve enterprise issues, and has oversight of highly complex systems within MemorialCare’s critical service lines. They must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in working regularly with co-workers, other IS teams, end users, department managers, vendors, and senior and executive IT leadership.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
- Lead project management operations, disaster recovery, and business continuity
- Assist with oversight of leading escalated requests and providing reports to leadership
- Manage upgrades and net-new implementation initiatives
- Lead collaboration within and across Enterprise IS teams
- Strategize prioritization and overall operations related to assigned areas and embedded systems
- Assist with the completion of requests for scoping, and business plans related to clinical ancillary applications and core systems of assigned service lines and departments
- Maintain strong working relationships with end users and department leaders to assist with workflow analysis and business needs requiring Application System services
- Ensure that both client and IS teams’ needs are met as projects evolve, monitors project progress, handles issues that arise, and communicates regularly
- Work independently with client and IS resources to identify and define clinical project requirements, scope, and objectives
- Educate and train junior staff related to project management processes through on-the-job instruction and formal training programs
- Manage personal and junior team member queues, issues, or calls from customers and end-users
- Apply clinical system knowledge to improve operational clinical workflows, streamline processes, and support strategies
- Assists leadership with identifying gaps in MemorialCare guidelines, policies and procedures, and with optimizing processes
- Work to provide systems analysis and task ownership related to the acquisition and support of assigned applications and systems
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a clinical or applications analyst, computer technician in a healthcare setting required.
- Proven ability to lead all types and phases of highly complex clinical projects. Proven history of managing oversight of team-based project management operations and methodologies. Experienced in leading projects, providing expert consultative guidance and direction on change initiatives, effectively dedicating time across more than one project, and meeting established deadlines.
- Proven familiarity of regression testing as it pertains to ancillary applications and core systems interfaced with an EMR. Proven proficiency developing test scenarios and scripts for integrated ancillary applications and core systems.
- Held previously successful role for a clinical application or system initiative, which required the use of project management tools and methodologies and experience with all project phases.
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture related to clinical applications and core systems including business continuity.
- Experienced establishing designing and implementing clinical application and system support models with a core understanding of IT operations. Demonstrated ability to upgrade clinical applications and core systems, optimize them for improved performance and streamline functionality based on operational workflows.
- Proven progressive project management experience working independently as well as in a team situation meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Experienced troubleshooting and remediating routine problems associated with clinical applications and core systems to ensure high levels of user satisfaction. Proven ability to apply an extensive amount of hands-on experience and expert level knowledge of clinical applications and core systems while leading highly complex projects at the enterprise level.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of all areas of clinical application support including integration using HL7 messaging and administration of system and service life cycles.
- Demonstrated high energy levels and tolerance of tight deadlines, time pressures, and ambiguity.
- Proven ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules, and step-by-step action plans.
- Proven experience managing personal issue queue as well as that of junior resources, assigning work orders, and providing advice on issues. Experienced at managing calls from customers for assistance and skillful at closing the loop with creating and updating pertinent documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior team members on operational and system workflows, as well as usage of systems and internal process. Experienced at training team members on troubleshooting and remediating issues associated with clinical applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with executive leadership and regularly host meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Proven experience involved in team initiatives including translating end-user needs, meeting deliverables, providing status reports, and managing customer expectations.
- Demonstrated effective communicator for purposes of interpersonal relations to understand and identify project needs and overall objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience required; Advanced degree preferred.
- Clinical license required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent PMI recognized certification preferred.
Jobs For You
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.
"I love working at Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach because I value working for a company that invests in its employees and the community we serve. From the support and guidance I receive from managers who value my professional and personal growth; to being able to work alongside colleagues who are dedicated to help their patients and families. I feel inspired every day to do the work that I love alongside people who share a similar vision."