VP, Research Administration
Location: Fountain Valley, California
Job Listing: MEM005019
Research is a major component of MemorialCare’s mission and is vital to its commitment of maintaining and advancing excellence in patient care. In fact, an active research program is a requirement of MemorialCare to establish and maintain the MemorialCare Medical Foundation division. It is also a requirement of the system-wide nursing “Magnet” program and maintaining nursing’s Magnet status, and it is a component of the long-standing pharmacy residency program. Finally, research is a key component of MemorialCare’s Graduate Medical Education program where MemorialCare accepts and trains physician fellows in partnership with academic universities across our region.
The Vice President of Research is the executive responsible for the Research Program. The Program covers clinical research which studies disease investigation and new treatments in areas such as adult and pediatric cancer, cardiology, pulmonology, neuroscience, and many other unique specialties where research studies occur. The Program also covers services and academic research related to nursing, pharmacy, overall care delivery processes, outcomes, and retrospective chart reviews.
The responsibilities of the Vice President, Research, include the system-wide conduct and management of research start-up, conduct, and Post Approval Monitoring (pre-award and post-award activities), as well as management of all staff who support research activities, maintaining Federal-Wide Assurances, and overseeing the grant administration functions of the department. In this capacity, the incumbent plans, organizes, leads, and monitors the scientific and financial performance of research; ensures regulatory compliance; and, above all, ensures patient safety alongside the Institutional Review Board. Beyond the day-to-day, the incumbent is responsible for overall leadership, direction, and advancement of MemorialCare’s Research function. In doing so, the incumbent orchestrates the long-term viability and growth of the MemorialCare Research Program, and fosters the development and maintenance of research sponsor, partner, and community relationships through four main inpatient hospital locations and over 200 ambulatory outpatient clinics.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree or higher in clinical health sciences and/or health administration, or equivalent
- Research training and certifications such as ACRP, SOCRA, and CIP
- Seven to ten years of progressive experience and leadership in a clinical and/or financial health research role
- Strong basic and clinical research administration skills, including proven experience supporting all major functions, from strategic planning and infrastructure support to finance and budgeting, personnel management, grant and fund accounting and oversight, and clinical/regulatory compliance
- Extensive experience with the interpretation and application of state and federal regulations relative to research and academic issues as well as experience with non-government and industry sponsors
- Five or more years in a supervisory administrative role in clinical health enterprises, especially hospital and/or academic, government or industry research organizations
- Proven experience and demonstrated skill in policy and procedure development, quality assessment, operational improvement, and customer service
- Skills and experience related to conflict management and turnaround situations
- Research conduct, rules, and regulations
- Compliance and Human Research Protections
- Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations
- Accounting principles, methods, and tools as it relates to budgets and budgeting
- Knowledge of contracting and contract provisions related to industry, principal investigators, and partnership agreements
- Working knowledge of LEAN and project management principles
- Working knowledge of human resource management, rules, and regulations
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
Jobs For You
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.
"I love working at Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach because I value working for a company that invests in its employees and the community we serve. From the support and guidance I receive from managers who value my professional and personal growth; to being able to work alongside colleagues who are dedicated to help their patients and families. I feel inspired every day to do the work that I love alongside people who share a similar vision."