Associate CNO, Miller Children's & Women's Hospital
Location: Long Beach, California
Job Listing: MIL002784
The Associate CNO (ACNO) reports directly to the Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) for the Long Beach campus and functions at the senior leadership level for MCWHLB to provide effective leadership and to coordinate leaders to deliver nursing care, treatment, and services. The ACNO is responsible for the operation of 24-hour nursing services, including determining the types and numbers of nursing personnel and staff necessary to provide nursing care for all areas of the hospital and on-license clinics where patient care is provided. The ACNO is ultimately responsible for sustaining standards of nursing practice throughout the organization. The ACNO serves on the senior leadership team (to also clarify Governance roles), and works with members of senior leadership, medical staff, management and other clinical leaders in the hospital’s decision-making structure and process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The ACNO reports to the Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) and is accountable to provide leadership, to develop and implement strategies and policies to provide high quality patient care in a cost-effective manner for their entity. The ACNO has management authority and accountability for Patient Care Services on the entity license. It combines nursing knowledge with administrative skills. The ACNO will be responsible for delivery of quality patient care through staff recruitment and retention, workforce competency development, patient education, continuous quality improvement, professional nursing practice, resource allocation, financial oversight, and interdisciplinary relations, policy formation, human resource management, financial performance, patient care service operation, and physician staff relations. The ACNO participates in strategic planning policy formation, human and resource management to meet patient care needs. Responsible to provide leadership of the MCWHLB nursing management teams and care lines. Ensures realization of established quality and economic objectives of the hospital in fulfillment of the MemorialCare Health System mission, values and philosophy.
- Direct the development and implementation of patient care programs and the provision of nursing care, effectively and efficiently utilizing resources to provide “exceptional people, extraordinary care, every time.”
- Establish and enforce policies and procedures to ensure that patient’s needs are assessed and met.
- Participate with leaders from the governing body, management, medical staff and clinical areas in decision making structures and processes.
- Develop and maintain strong professional and collaborative relationships with other executives, physicians, leaders locally and at the system level.
- Participate in short- and long-term strategic plans, including growth, innovation and business development strategies.
- Provide direction to leadership to ensure individual department goals and objectives are aligned with those of the hospital and system.
- Maintain adherence to clinical performance and patient safety outcomes and measures using a collaborative process that focuses on performance improvement and best practices.
- Provide transformational leadership to directors, managers and staff. Exemplify and promote a Just Culture, including working collaboratively with labor unions.
- Mentor direct reports to ensure ongoing professional growth and development.
- Represent the organization in the community through participation in outside activities consistent with the hospital and system objectives.
- Accountable for keeping patient care running smoothly while maintaining budgetary goals.
- Monitor productivity targets and standards to measure effectiveness and efficiency of resource utilization.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations and regulatory bodies as they relate to nursing and patient care services. Take corrective action when standards are not met.
- Optimize the patient experience, including rounding, addressing questions and complaints from patients and their families in a timely manner.
- Day to day oversight and improvement of nursing departments related to employee engagement, efficiency and productivity, patient satisfaction, safety, quality and risk management.
- Appropriately delegate authority and accountability to directors/managers and promote collaborative physician-management relationships.
- Current active RN license in State of California required
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, management, business, or healthcare required
- Master’s Degree required.
- Master's in nursing administration preferred. If the master’s degree is not in nursing, then the bachelor’s or higher degree must be in nursing.
- Specialty certification in area of nursing administration preferred or obtained within one year of hire.
- Doctorate preferred
- Extensive experience in pediatrics and women’s strongly preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of nursing experience with at least five (5) years in management experience at the level of director or above in an acute care hospital, with demonstrated increasing level of responsibility in management and evidence of continuing education directly related to job description specifications.
- Demonstrated strong leadership management ability as evidenced by excellent interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and organizational skills
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong employee and physician relationship skills, collaborative, team player, works well within a leadership team
Jobs For You
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.
"I love working at Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach because I value working for a company that invests in its employees and the community we serve. From the support and guidance I receive from managers who value my professional and personal growth; to being able to work alongside colleagues who are dedicated to help their patients and families. I feel inspired every day to do the work that I love alongside people who share a similar vision."