Nutrition Technician, Kitchen - PD/Variable
Location: Laguna Hills, California
Schedule: Per Diem
Shift: Per Diem
Job Listing: SAD004467
Purpose Statement / Position Summary
This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of Saddleback Medical Center. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with our core values: Integrity, Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion and Synergy. The employee shall support Saddleback Medical Center’s strategic plan and participate in and advocate performance improvement/patient safety activities.
Our Nutrition Technicians assist patients with meal selections both in person and over the phone. They are responsible for educating patients on their diet and ensuring that they follow their diet order. The Nutrition Technician coordinates various aspects of our meal service and works closely with our Registered Dietitians and Registered Diet Technicians.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
- Coordinate and perform patient menu selection and correction for meals and nourishments via Call Center, processing selections and meal production tickets via Computrition
- Receive calls to input menu selections into Computrition consistent with Diet Order in Epic
- Communication with Dietitians or Diet Technicians regarding patients needing review of menu selections to ensure nutritional adequacy when needed
- Communication with Kitchen production staff and Room Service Hosts regarding special requests
- Perform Computrition, Epic and Outlook and other computer applications used in the department
- Assist Room Service Hosts, Food Service Workers and Nutrition Technicians as needed; will be cross-trained. May be scheduled to work in other related areas within department
- Acquire and maintain current nutrition knowledge
- Address the age specific needs of all populations served
- Incumbents with DTR status may assist Clinical Diet Technician as assigned
- Ability to be at work and be on time
- Ability to follow company policies, procedures and directives
- Ability to interact in a positive and constructive manner
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Job Outcomes
- Calls will be received and processed timely for meal selections
Meal selections will be input into Computrition accurately and compliant with Diet Order in Epic, Nutrition Technician will provide nutrition education regarding diet order as needed
Kitchen tickets for non-select meals will be printed timely for meal production
Communication with patient and/or families will be friendly, easy to understand and positive following scripting guidelines and Simply Better expectations
Timely and effective communication with Dietitians, Diet Techs, Nursing, and Food Production Staff regarding patient meal service, special requests, and special needs
Assists Room Service Hosts and Food Service Workers as needed to ensure timely and accurate production and delivery of meals to patients, including tube feedings and infant formulas. May be scheduled to work in other related areas within department
Computrition and Epic reports will be produced and distributed accurately, including insulin and food allergy reports.
Practice proper infection control procedures according to department policies
Other duties as assigned
- Recent experience in an acute care hospital food service department and/or call center setting preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written in English.
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills necessary.
- Basic computer proficiency skills.
Completion of college course in Introductory Nutrition with a passing grade of C or better preferred.
Completion of college course in Therapeutic Nutrition preferred, but can be trained on the job.
Associate of Arts degree in Nutrition desirable.
Knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations desirable.
Certification as a Registered Diet Technician for position cross-training desirable
Jobs For You
You have not recently viewed any jobs.
You have no saved jobs.
"I love working at Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach because I value working for a company that invests in its employees and the community we serve. From the support and guidance I receive from managers who value my professional and personal growth; to being able to work alongside colleagues who are dedicated to help their patients and families. I feel inspired every day to do the work that I love alongside people who share a similar vision."